Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Tagging & Re-Tagging

We have discussed tagging before, but I'd like to expand those thoughts. Let's talk about re-tagging a listing that isn't receiving the attention it deserves. For example, I recently had a dress in my shop that I thought was amazing and should be getting tones of attention but had zero admirers. I decided to take a minute and read over my listing and see what changes could be made. It ended up being the "tags" that I thought could be improved. I often copy other listings and forget to change up the tags for specific items. I went ahead and changed a few tags to ones I knew where more popular or more related to the item, I then renewed the listing and within 24 hours it had a fair number of admirers! 

This is just an example of why Tagging can be very important. That dress is now more likely to sell then it was when it wasn't tagged correctly. 

Here are a number of links from etsy explaining the best ways to tag, what tags are, and how to use them:


When re-tagging, try first going to your shop stats and looking into which tags are being most commonly searched. Try applying those tags to any item it relates to, then move onto other tags from there.

Another idea is to do some research of other shops like your own. Let's say you sell black and white photography: look up the other successful shops that sell similar themed black and white photography, then click on a few of their listings. If those listings have a large amount of admirers, chances are they've tagged them well. So scroll to the bottom of the listing and see what tags they have used. Try giving those a shot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment