Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Photographing in Gray Scale vs. White

One of the struggles I found I would run into having a white background recently was that not all colours would show up correctly. I'd also struggle with having the background turn out more yellow or blue depending on the weather or the colour of the piece I was photographing. 

(notice how it's hard to see the details within the red dress, and how the other dress has a very yellow background - and that's after photoshop)

So, after some research, I've come to the conclusion that a gray wall might help.

When professional photographers are setting up a photoshoot they often use a "kodak 18% gray" card which does the following:
"The KODAK Gray Card Plus has the property of reflecting red, green, and blue in equal amounts, which greatly facilitates postproduction and color grading."
Read more: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Education/Publications/Shooting/grayCard(2).htm#ixzz2tihRgkBF



This means that it can help pick up the colours correctly. Now, I tried painting my wall 18% grey (code 6000N with Dulux Paint), but it is simply too dark for the look I'm going for.

After much reading I've come to the conclusion that lighter shades of grey will still work and not be so harsh. 

So if you find yourself struggling with having a white background, this might be a good solution.

Here are a few examples of a successful grey background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment